Where has the time gone?

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Grandpa Died Today

I'm crying and I don't really know why. It's not like I didn't know that his time was coming. I feel at peace with it, I really do. I just can't help but miss the opportunities I missed and the phone calls I could have had more often.

My grandfather was a great guy. I really didn't know him that well. At least not as well as I should have. We left Idaho when I was five and we only saw him once a year after that. At least until I turned 18 and left for college in Idaho. I spent a month with him and Grandpa Selena before going to school. I know it was hard for them having a teenager around. They tried their best to make it work, and for the most part it did. I hope I didn't get on their nerves much as I think I did. I did try to helped out as much as I could, but they were older and other than being family we didn't have much in common.

After I left for college, we didn't speak much after that. Not because we didn't like each, but there weren't many opportunities. They were busy and so was I. I saw them at Thanksgiving and again on my birthday.

Since I left Ricks College to go back to school in Texas, I've only seen them twice. Once for visit after I was married and again for Grandma's funeral.

Since Grandma's death, I've talked to him alot on the phone. So many times before I couldn't get him to say two words to me. Since her death, I always had to plan at least an hour to talk to him on the phone. He would tell me stories about my dad and his brother's that I had never heard before. I wish now, he had told me more.

Tonight I was in the Orlando Temple and I was doing the ordiance work for my husband's Grandmother, Johnnie Hall Spurgeon. The spirit was very strong there and I was so happy that I went. When I went into the Celestial room, I sat and said a little prayer. The first person that came to mind to pray for was my Grandpa Jack. I don't know why. I really hadn't thought about him today. None the less, his name popped into my head. I prayed that when the time came that he would go quickly, in the Lord's time and that he would go in peace. I prayed for several other things and then walked out the door to change. I looked up at the clock as I was leaving the building and the time read 8:53pm. I am guessing that I said my prayer for Grandpa right around 8:40 or a little before.

I came home and was watching a movie with my husband when Mom called with the news. I called my Father (Grandpa Jack's son) and asked how he was doing. Dad said he was doing fine. I asked him when it had happened. He said around 7. I said in the morning or at night. This evening. 7 for Dad was 9pm my time. Little did I know that my prayer in the temple would be answered so quickly.

I'm sad to see him go. At the same time, I'm so glad that this little old man who talked my ear off is now with his loving wife, being held in her arms again. Through him, I am reminded that Heavenly Father loves each one of us and sent His son to die for us, so that like my Grandpa Jack now, we can all be together again some day.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Idaho born, Texas native Floridian